If you have chronic lung diseases such as allergies or asthma, you may well understand the health effects of mold. However, even if your immune system is healthy and there is no allergic reaction, mold can cause various health problems-cough, wheezing, and throat, skin and eye irritation, etc. Mold is everywhere. Although you cannot completely control mold exposure outdoors or in public places, you can check for mold in common places around the house and take measures to prevent and remove mold.
What can cause mold in your home?
All houses have the key ingredients needed for mold growth: the presence of mold spores, the growth surface of mold spores, oxygen, warmth, and darkness. When you add water to the mixture, whether it is water leakage, standing water, or high humidity, it all starts with a mold problem. You may not even know that there is mold in your home before you even see or smell it (the damp, moldy smell is a good indicator that mold is growing nearby). Knowing where mold is common in your home can help you prevent and treat mold, thereby keeping your family and your body healthy.
Check for mold in the bathroom
You may like long hot showers, but unfortunately, so does mold. The warm and humid environment in the bathroom is actually an incentive for mold growth. Bathrooms that lack proper ventilation (from windows, fans, or ideally, neither) are particularly prone to attract mold. Although it is obvious to check whether the shower tiles are moldy, there are still many less obvious moldy areas in the bathroom.
Some tips to keep the bathroom free of mold:
- Use ventilation fans when bathing or showering, and keep them for at least 30 minutes after turning them on.
- Use Alorair commercial dehumidifiers to reduce the humidity of the entire home.
- Keep all surfaces including counters and floors clean and dry.
- Check for leaks in faucets and pipes.
Check for mold in the kitchen
There is enough surface for mold to settle in your kitchen. Using a stove and running hot water from the sink will increase humidity, which will cause mold to grow rapidly in the kitchen. The most common mold inspection sites in the kitchen include:
Above and below the kitchen sink: a lot of things happen in the kitchen sink. Dirty dishes pile up, food goes through a garbage disposal, wet sponges sit in the sink, and the tap runs. All these factors can cause mold to grow, so if you want to prevent mold, check these areas frequently.
Microwaves and stoves: These food-centric areas in the kitchen will see a lot of food spills and grease splashes. Keeping these items clean and dry is not only important for having a clean home, but also an easy way to prevent mold.
In order to keep the kitchen mold-free, please make sure:
- Ventilate cooking and washing dishes by opening the windows, using Alorair air movers, or both.
- Wash the dishes every day to prevent them from accumulating in the sink.
- Clean and dry stoves, microwave ovens, counters, cabinets, and windowsills regularly.
- Remove garbage every day.
Check for mold in the basement
Everyone knows the musty basement odor, but if you keep mold away, your basement does not have to be a victim of this odor. There are many areas that are prone to mold because this is often the humid area of the house.
Here are some reminders about appearance:
- Around pipes and ducts (look for leaks, excess water, and condensate).
- Near the area where the foundation may leak.
- Near the sewage pump.
- Windows or vents where condensation may collect.
Some tips to prevent mold growth in basements:
- Use Alorair basement dehumidifiers to keep moisture at a low level.
- Use waterproof or mildew-proof paint.
- Check and repair any leaking pipelines or foundation leaks.
- Ensure that there is adequate ventilation.
- Waterproof the exterior of the basement and solve drainage problems.
It's worth the time to check
No one wants mold to grow in the home. Nevertheless, there are many places to check for mold at home. Initially, checking the moldy area and taking measures to prevent it may seem a bit troublesome, but in the long run, it can prevent you from getting sick and prevent damage to the house. Installing a dehumidifier in these humid areas can solve the mold problem for a long time, and maintain a dry and comfortable indoor environment, and mold will not grow on the surface.