Dust mites are microscopic insects that feed on dead skin cells that people shed regularly. Dust mites live in indoor dust, and warm, moist conditions are particularly good for them. When you breathe in dust mite waste, your immune system kicks into high gear, producing antibodies to these normally harmless substances. This excessive immune response can lead to symptoms of dust mite allergy. About 20 million Americans are allergic to dust mites, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). In addition, long-term exposure to dust mite allergens can lead to sinus infections and asthma. Even if you have a clean home, there's no guarantee it's free of dust mites. Bedding, carpets, and furniture cushions are home to dust mites because they retain moisture. Over time, as you continue to breathe in dust mite waste particles, you may experience more allergy symptoms.
If you find that your allergy symptoms are worse after cleaning or going to bed, you can go to the hospital for a diagnostic allergy test. Allergists generally use a skin prick test. Doctors use a small amount of the allergen extracted to puncture a small patch of skin. Wait 15 minutes to see if your skin has a negative reaction. If the skin in your test area develops a large lump or turns red and itchy, you're allergic.
Symptoms of dust mite allergy include runny or itchy nose, post-nasal drip, itchy skin, congestion, sinus pressure, itchy, watery or redness of the eyes, hoarseness of the throat, cough, swelling of the skin under the eyes, etc. Moreover, if you have asthma and are allergic to dust mites. You may also experience these symptoms, such as chest pain or tightness in the chest, difficulty breathing, wheezing, coughing or shortness of breath, difficulty speaking, and severe asthma.
The best treatment for dust mites is to reduce exposure. In addition, it can be combined with over-the-counter and prescription medications to help relieve dust mite allergies. Allergy shots are also a good way to treat allergies.
There are several ways to prevent mite dust: Use anaphylaxis covers on mattresses, springs, and pillows. Wash your bedding in hot water at least once a week and completely dry or dry.
In addition, you can control the dust mite by the characteristics of its growth:
Use a dehumidifier to keep the relative humidity in your room between 30 and 50 percent.
Buy a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter.
Buy only washable stuffed animals and wash them regularly.
Dust is often removed with wet or oiled towels or mops.
Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter regularly.
Clean curtains and upholstered furniture regularly.
Try not to use carpets.