Christmas is the official season, and if you are like countless other homeowners across the country, you may already have a decoration on the tree. But even though Christmas trees are a source of joy and an essential tradition in many families celebrating holidays, they can also cause serious damage to your property: the growth of mold.
The link between Christmas trees and mold
According to a study by the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, the link between mold and Christmas trees stems from the observation that asthma and sinus discomfort seem to increase during the holiday season. Since mold is common in leafy outdoor areas, it can be speculated that Christmas trees may also cause mold growth. When the researchers used this theory to test, they found shocking results.
Over the course of two weeks, the researchers measured mold counts in the same room as a live Christmas tree 10 feet from the heating vent. The room temperature between these two weeks is set between 65 and 68 degrees. In the first three days of the study, the researchers found that the mold count continued to stabilize at about 800 spores per cubic meter of air. However, these numbers quickly began to rise, and by the last day of the study, when the trees were cut down, they totaled about 5,000 spores per cubic meter.
Although there are 500-700 mold spores per cubic meter of air in an ordinary house, the high content of mold spores in the air indicates that mold may grow somewhere in your house. But why is the Christmas tree moldy? In addition to indoor and outdoor plants almost always increases the possibility of mold, Christmas trees, in particular, require large amounts of water to survive. And because mold thrives on moisture, the more beautiful Christmas trees you water, the more likely you are to encourage mold growth. It’s also worth pointing out that many Christmas trees are usually cut down before the Christmas holidays and kept in damp places to keep them alive. This means that in some cases, your trees may even be Has become a hotbed of mold.
How to stop mold from growing around the Christmas tree
If you or anyone in your family suffers from allergies, asthma, or other respiratory diseases, you may want to consider giving up the Christmas tree altogether. However, before getting rid of such a popular part of the holiday, there are a few options to help ensure that mold does not affect the health of the family.
On the one hand, you should try to place the Christmas tree as far away as possible from the heating vents. Unfortunately, the researchers found that even at 10 feet away, if there is a Christmas tree, mold can still grow. However, if you use an Alorair commercial dehumidifier to reduce the moisture and humidity in your house, and use an Alorair air scrubber to filter dust and mold spores, you can greatly help your family breathe more easily. You should also avoid watering the tree as much as possible, as this not only improves the health of the tree but also reduces the number of mold spores in the air. Finally, if you are worried that mold will interfere with your ability to enjoy the holidays, you can always consider buying fake trees.
Remember, if your house does have mold, it means that the indoor humidity level is already at a high level. The best solution is to buy dehumidifiers and air scrubbers, they will help you reduce the humidity and moisture of the house and improve the air quality to ensure that your family has a safe, mold-free Christmas.
To get the best dehumidifiers and air scrubbers-shop here!