There is a common misconception among most homeowners that mold will only occur after a major flood. However, mold can thrive in any moisture surface. No matter how small the extent of water damage experienced is, it is important to ensure space is completely dried out.
Water damage is to just caused by floods or leaking pipes, increase relative humidity levels indoors as well can easily make your home’s walls and ceiling moist creating the perfect surface for mold to grow.
What is the mold?
Mold is a fungus that grows on moist organic objects. Mold grows by digesting nutrients from the organic matter. Mold produces mold spores that can be spread over your home. This makes it hard but not impossible to get rid of mold.
Mold is able to grow on any surface, from floor carpets, ceiling, walls, on furniture, on books to wallpaper. For mold to grow on any of these surfaces all they require is for the surface to be moist, this why water leaks are one of the leading causes for mold growth indoors.
The initial mold spores are probably brought into your home as mold spores on a person’s clothes, furniture, by air(if outdoor air with mold spores is able to get into your home) or pets. Outdoor mold helps decompose leaves and wood.
Why is mold so dangerous?
mold can cause structural damage to your ceiling, walls, and furniture if the mold is allowed to grow over time. However, the greater threat mold poses are it can greatly affect the health of people residing in the mold-infested house.
mold spores are proven allergens that can cause :
- Eye irritation.
- Nausea congestion hence difficulties in breathing.
- Skin rash.
- Respiratory problems.
- Trigger Asthma attacks.
Mold can make your home very uncomfortable for you and your family.
Some species of mold produce mycotoxins. When anyone is exposed to high levels of mycotoxins will suffer from eye irritation, headaches, lung irritation, fatigue, and nausea.
How to identify mold?
Mold is easy to spot. Mold appears as black or white spots. The black mold remains the most common form of mold you will see. Since mold thrives in humid space it is always advisable for you to check for mold growth in the kitchen, bathroom, basement/crawlspace, and laundry room.
Water leaks in walls will also create the perfect environment for mold growth. You should also look out for leaks.
Look out for the following sign of mold growth and water leaks :
- Increased dampness indoors.
- Stuffiness or space feeling damp and odor.
- Reduced water pressure.
- Water damage Stains on the walls or ceilings.
How to prevent mold growth?
- Regularly inspect your home for water leaks.
- Proper ventilation in your home.
- Proper cleaning and drying after any flood.
- Place the furniture a few inches from the wall to promote air circulation.
- Air seal your basement or crawlspace to avoid humid outdoor air from condensing on the cold walls and floor.
- Invest in an Alorair dehumidifier to ensure the relative humidity level indoors remain controlled.