Water damage occurs when excess humidity or water accumulates indoors in spaces it should not. The level of water damage varies depending on the cause of excess water. While some causes like floods can cause catastrophic damage over a short period of time, research as proven increased relative humidity levels indoors can cause similar damage over time.
It is therefore of the utmost importance for any homeowner to be able to identify the sign of water damage.
The signs of water damage include :
- Mold growth on walls, ceiling, and on items in the house.
- Condensed water droplets on the walls or window planes especially in the morning.
- Peeling off of wallpaper and paint.
- Stuffiness or dampness indoors.
What are the common causes of water damage?
1.Overflowing sinks or bathtubs.
This is definitely one of the most common causes of water damage indoors. An overflowing sink or bathtubs can cause as much damage as a natural flood.
Most homeowners make the mistake of underestimating the level of water damage water from an overflowing sink or bathtubs and will end up only dry out the water and forgetting to dry the walls, floor the wood that the water came in contact with.
2.Natural disasters and harsh weather.
The weather has now become more and more unpredictable with flash floods and hurricanes becoming more common. Heavy rainfall can cause a lot of water to build up around your home.
Rainwater can only get into your house if :
- The roof is damaged.
- There are cracks in the walls of the house.
- There are unsealed space between the walls and the windows.
- Heavy flooding and there is poor drainage around the house.
Therefore, it is important to take restoration measures. Learn more about restoration measures.
3.Leaking household appliances.
This is more common in older household appliances like dishwashers, refrigerators, washing machines, and water heaters. All machines are susceptible to wear and tear. The pipes rust and crack over time which allows water to drip from the appliance causing water damage.
Most plumbing issues occur at the joints when the pipe and the hoses are not connected properly some water will leak. When this happens in the walls you will note wetness and discoloration on that spot. This plumbing problem should be solved immediately to avoid extensive damage.
5.Increased moisture accumulating in some spaces.
Certain spaces in the home such as the crawlspace, attic, and basement are prone to have increased humidity levels that make them more likely to have water damage issues.
What the causes of increased water damage in basements and crawlspaces?
Most of these spaces are either partially or completely underground, hence are cooler compared to other spaces in the house.
The causes of increased water damage are:
- A cracked foundation that allows groundwater into the basement.
- Poor drainage around the house. if lots of the rainwater settle right next to the basement walls then the rainwater will be absorbed into the walls cause water damage.
- Ventilation. – if the moist outdoor air can easily get into the basement the moist will condense on the cold walls and floors.
What the causes of increased water damage in the attic?
Unmaintained vents provide air leakage that allows moist outdoor air into the attic. The moisture condenses on the walls of the attic causing water damage.
It is important to consult a water damage restoration expert when repairing any water damage.